1. Jade has yet to talk about her support for secular Palestinian nationalism, but her Kefiyah speaks volumes. Jade Goody’s apparent support for Fatah on Celebrity Big Brother.
  2. The This Life special nostalgically reviving lazy mid-90s reflexive “irony” (Egg has written a book! Little does he know he is just a character himself!).
  3. The current state of British dance music, as filtered through ads for compilations. A surprisingly high concentration of Happy Hardcore (is this just a north of England thing?), and a remix of “Another Brick in the Wall.” Genius.

I’m not so keen on the fact that ITV and the producers of Dead Clever seem to think it’s OK to structure your plot around classic 1950s cliche, “Lesbian, driven mad by her disordered, unnatural lusts, turns to murder.”

Comments

1. Ian Mathers, 11:02 am, January 7, 2007

I’m Canadian, so I have no idea what the above means.  Going off-topic, I was hoping to be able to quote you in something I’m writing to submit to the online journal Perforations (unfortunately I failed to save the line when I first saw it, but I think I found it again) on hauntology. I was planning to include a link to the post (since this will be online, if it gets accepted) and refer to you as “Voyou.”  If you’d prefer not to be quoted, prefer to be quoted differently, or had any questions, could you please drop me a line at imathers at gmail dot com?  I won’t necessarily remember to drop by here to see if you’ve responded (I’m terribly bad at that). I really enjoy the blog, obviously. Even when it’s about UK TV that I have only the fainest context for.

2. Ian Mathers, 11:02 am, January 7, 2007

Also, at some point I will figure out how to make your comments accept line breaks.

3. Anthony Paul Smith, 2:34 am, January 9, 2007

Where I’m from (the American midwest) Happy Hardcore refers to a strain of hardcore. The best example that I can think of is old Good Clean Fun circa 1999.

4. Stefan, 6:56 am, January 9, 2007

Hey, Happy Hardcore refers to a strain of hardcore here too; just that hardcore means something else.  Anyway, Tim, don’t call it a come back; happy hardcore never went away in the North (specifically the North West). I hold a half-arsed opinion that this is a glorious example of grass-roots independence and one in the eye for the music industry and the culture industries generally.

5. steff, 4:53 pm, January 10, 2007

Jade’s support, or just a very calculated move to enhance her audience-appeal by appearing to endorse something “controversial” incl. the potential for a “fight”.  The edge of distinction.

6. Adam Kotsko, 9:41 am, January 14, 2007

Your audience is dying to know what you think of the latest episode of <i>House</i>.

7. voyou, 1:07 am, January 15, 2007

Stefan, I hold the same opinion, probably equally half-arsedly.

Adam, I haven’t seen it yet; I was in the UK when it was broadcast, although I’ve now downloaded a copy.